Subscribe To Rosie Bakes A 'Peace' of Cake

Thursday 12 February 2009

Aphrodite’s Love Potion Cupcakes - Ooh La La.....!!

I love you
Ich liebe Dich
Je t'aime
S' ayapo
Ti amo
Te amo


Oh yes L-O-V-E is in the air, it’s Valentine’s Day this Saturday when Cupid that little love rascal, draws his bow, aims and fires his stream of arrows and brings amour to people around the world. On this day hopefully, loved ones will be showered with gifts by their beloved to display their affections be it with, flowers, chocolates, champagne, cards, or romantic meal just for two or even baking something special for them. I find that showing your loved one in your life you’ve baked something unique for them is very personal and romantic. It’s baked with love from your heart and this could be in the form of a heart shaped cake, cupcakes, cookies, just let your imagination take control. But do take a look in my Valentine’s section for further ideas for that special someone in your life this Valentine’s Day.


Aphrodite’s Love Potion Cupcakes - showing all the sprinkles


For Valentine’s Day this year I have started wooing my amour "Mr R" with a batch of my own “Aphrodite’s Love Potion Cupcakes”! I hope you like the name of my cupcakes? I chose Aphrodite because she is the mythological Greek Goddess of love and beauty!

Today I am sharing with you my recipe for these cupcakes, which have a gorgeous vanilla sponge with added chunks of white chocolate suspended through and with a luscious Swiss meringue buttercream frosting. The decorations are personal preference and of course opt for whatever sprinkles etc you wish – just let the love flow and bake from the heart!


Aphrodite’s Love Potion Cupcakes - Ooh La La.....!!


I am speedily posting these cupcakes that I want to share with you today before going out with my daughter this evening. I’m most looking forward to visiting all my ‘dear’ blogging friends tomorrow to view those new creations you been posting ;0)

Aphrodite’s Love Potion Cupcakes

Aphrodite’s Love Potion Cupcakes!

Makes approx 19 cupcakes

Ingredients
225g (8 oz) softened unsalted butter
225g (8 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1½ tsp vanilla extract
Approx 6 tbsp milk – you may need less
225g (8 oz) plain (all purpose) flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
100g (4 oz) white chocolate chips
For The Swiss Meringue Frosting
300g (11 oz) softened unsalted butter
75g (3 oz) vegetable shortening – I use Trex
300g (11 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
5 large egg whites
2 tbsp golden syrup or light corn syrup
Pinch of salt
1¼ tsp vanilla extract
Edible pink food colouring paste (optional)
Decorations
Sprinkles, sugar flowers, sprinkling sugar –or own preference

You will require 2 muffin trays lined with 19 paper-cases, a sugar thermometer for the frosting recipe and a piping bag with a star shaped tip.

Method


Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°f/Gas mark 4. Sift the flour and baking powder together and leave aside for later. Beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy in colour and texture. Add a little of the beaten egg at a time and beat in well with each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract until combined fully into the mixture. Fold through the flour gently with a large spatula or metal spoon until fully incorporated. Add a little of the milk at a time folding through gently until you have a good dropping consistency then lastly fold through the chocolate chips. Spoon the mixture with equal amounts into each muffin case then place into the preheated oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until nicely golden on top or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the trays to cool for 5 minutes before turning out to cool completely.

To make the Swiss Buttercream Frosting: I used a stand mixer for this – cream the butter and vegetable shortening until light and fluffy in colour and texture, but not too soft. Place the mixture into another bowl and leave aside for later. Wash the mixing bowl from the stand mixer ready for later. Place a saucepan with water onto simmer, in a heat proof bowl combine the butter, sugar, golden syrup or light corn syrup, egg whites and pinch of salt into the bowl and place on top of the simmering saucepan. Keep stirring frequently until all the sugar granules have dissolved and the temperature on the sugar thermometer reads 60°C/140°F. Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment whip the egg white mixture in a clean bowl on a medium to medium high setting until the outside of the mixture bowl feels just cool enough to touch. The mixture will look white and fluffy and very thick. Add the butter mixture and vanilla and whisk again on a medium setting until the frosting is smooth, creamy and almost resembles whipped double cream. Dived the mixture equally , if using coloured frosting, into two separate bowls and add a little edible colour paste to one and stir through to make a pink frosting. Place the white icing into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe the tops of half the cupcake batch with the white frosting add sprinkles of choice. Wash and thoroughly dry the piping bag and nozzle and fill with the pink frosting and continue to pipe the tops of the remaining cupcakes and add sprinkles of choice. Enjoy!

Wishing you a very romantic Valentine’s Day on Saturday and may your day be filled with amour too– Rosie x



40 comments:

Gloria said...

Rosie!!! Your cupcakes are absolutely cutes and lovely!!! and delicious Im sure, they look really nice, xxxGloria

Maria said...

These will put me under a sugar spell for sure! YUM! Happy V-day to you!

The Wandering Pit said...

These look wonderful,Rosie! Far more professional than my humble efforts!!!

test it comm said...

Those valentines cupcakes look amazing!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What pretty cupcakes! I love their name!

Have a great Valentine's Day and cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

All of them are simply chweet dear..perfect for the occasion..happy valentine's day..

Elyse said...

The name alone makes me want to try them. Then I read the description and saw your beautiful pictures, and now, now, I have to make these!

natalia said...

Gnam Gnam ! I'd love to share one ! (and your marmalade !!)

Chibog in Chief said...

Happy valentine's day to you my dear rosie!! these are all yummy and creative!!

Maggie said...

These cupcakes could woo anyone within sight of them!
I can imagine now biting into them, they look so tempting.

Anne said...

They all look so beautiful, love your sprinkles are very cute!

x

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow! These do look ooh la la!

PG said...

So pretty! How do you make the little roses (like the ones in the top picture)?

Happy Valentine's Day (tomorrow).

Maria♥ said...

Rosie I LOVE your cupcakes!! They are perfect for Valentines and "Mr R" is one lucky man.

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

Wow Rosie, they look so good.

Finla said...

Ik hou van je that is flemish for I love you Rosie.
And i do love you for making this super love cupcakes even thought you made for Mr R.
I am bookmarking these, for making, now it is a bit late for making for valentine, but for some other special occasion.

threesidesofcrazy said...

I can't wait to try these. The sound and look truly decadent. Happy Valentines Day.

glamah16 said...

Simply beautiful Rosie!Happy Valentines Day.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

It kind of looks like you piped roses on top of the cupcakes. I like how you did that.

The recipe does sound good. I like vanilla & white chocolate. I've been seeing so much chocolate so I was really excited to see yours.

Happy Valentine's Day!
~ingrid

Ivy said...

Your cupcakes have reached perfection. Happy Valentines.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Awww they look just perfect for Valentine's Day!

Rosie said...

Hi Dearest Gloria, thank you sweetie and a Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

Hi Maria, heehee I’m aiming for a sugar spell – Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

Hi Tracey, *blush* I am sure your cupcakes are just awesome - Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

Hi Kevin thank you and Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

Ahh Rosa thanks and wishing you a Happy Valentine’s day :D

Hi Ann, thank you and wishing you to a Happy Valentine’s day :D

Hi Elyse, oh I so hope you bake these cupcakes and a Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

Hi natalia, ahh bless you - wishing you a Happy Valentine’s day :D

Thank you dearest Dhanggit and wishing you to a Happy Valentine’s day :D

Hi M, ahhhh thank you and have a lovely Valentine’s day :D

Thank you Anne heehee my daughter calls me Mrs Sprinkles due to when I go anywhere with a baking section I make a bee line for the sprinkles - a Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

;0) Thanks Lisa and a Happy Valentine’s day to you too!

Hi Psychgrad, I made the red roses tied with ribbon from sugarpaste but the roses in the cupcakes came from a local supermarket. Wishing you a Happy Valentine’s day :0)
Ahhhh thank you Maria and Mr R took two today in his lunch box lol wishing you to a Happy Valentine’s day :D

Thank you George and have a great Valentine’s day :0)

Hi H.C. ahhhh that’s lovely you are so kind. The Swiss meringue is easy to do if you have a sugar thermometer. I look forward to viewing your cupcakes sweetie when you bake them for your special occasion. - A Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

Hi Tammy, I look forward to viewing your cupcakes and enjoy them - wishing you a Happy Valentine’s day :D

Thank you Coco and wishing you a Happy Valentine’s day too :D

Ahhhh thank you so much Ingrid and the sugar roses I brought from my local supermarket so I didn’t have to make them for the cupcakes this year. - A Happy Valentine’s day to you :D

Hi Ivy, ahhhh thank you sweetie and - A Happy Valentine’s day to youtoo :D

Sending love through the air on this eve of Valentine’s and thanking everyone for all your very kind words.

Best wishes and have a lovely day tomorrow Rosie xoxox

Anonymous said...

I'll say "ooh la la!" Fancy.

Thank you so much for stopping to read Suzie's House.

Varsha Vipins said...

Hi Rosie,they are incredibly beautiful..perfect cupcake with a perfect name..:)

Cakelaw said...

These are gorgeous Rosie! One of my best friends is called Aphrodite - I am sure that she's love her namesakes.

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes worked on me ... I love you Rosie!! I can taste them already!

Peter M said...

These aren't cupcakes...they are works of art!

grace said...

i love your adornments! these little cakes are perfect for valentine's day...and let's be serious, any other day too. :)

JillyB said...

Rosie, those look so lovely!

tartasacher said...

Hello Rosie.

Felicitations!!. Your cup-cakes are so delious. Thank you for your comments. Best regards

Rosie said...

Ahhhhh thank you everyone - you are all so kind :0)

As you know I'm having lots of troubles with blogger at the moment but please bear with me.

best wishes Rosie x

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Aphrodite would be very pleased.

Sara said...

These are so pretty, hope you had a great Valentine's day!

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Gorgeous cupcakes Rosie! I adore the name too, very romantic.

Gigi said...

Such lovely cupcakes! I can totally see having one of them with nice glass of champagne. Happy Valentines Day!

The Caked Crusader said...

Elegant and pretty. Definitely cupcakes to fall in love with!

Rosie said...

Thank you -thank you everyone and I hope that little rascal Cupid aimed his arrows at you last Valentines Day :0)

My best wishes Rosie xoxox

Preety said...

wow those cupcakes looks so cute..perfect bake for loved ones

Chef Jeena said...

Beautiful cakes Rosie I hope your technical problems get sorted out. :-)

Nic said...

These look gorgeous Rosie, so pretty!